About Me

My photo
Portel, Para, Brazil
After over 40 years as a Christian, God called me to serve in Brazil as a missionary...a dream I had for 10 years, since my first visit to the Amazon. I am single again, and I have 2 wonderful children (and a terrific daughter-in-law), 9 grandchildren, and 2 great-granddaughters.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Politics in Brazil





Nearly everyone gets involved in politics before a presidential election. Altamira may be off the beaten path, but this year several important "politicos" visited our town, including President Lula himself!

I wish I could convey the excitement, THE NOISE (political speeches broadcast throughout the neighborhood, cars with giant speakers traveling through the town, fireworks at every political rally, etc.)

Every political party (and there are several) has a color that identifies them, and each politician running for election has a number. People paint these numbers on their walls, wear the colors, wave the flags...

(I happened to be downtown when the "green" team had a major rally, so all my pictures are of them.)

Since Brazil doesn't have an Electoral College, every vote counts! Voting is mandatory after the age of 18. Somewhat like the times of Jesus, people travel back to their hometowns, where they are registered, to vote. It is a very big event. I traveled to Porto de Moz with HortĂȘncia and her uncle's family...we didn't need to take a line boat, oh no! The prefeitura (mayor) of Porto de Moz send his own boat to pick us up! (not just us, over 100 people were on board).

And this year, we get a second dose of this exhilarating experience! There will be a second election this Sunday for President and Governor. No candidate in these two races got more than 50% of the vote in the original election last month, so there will be a run-off between the two highest vote-getters. We are praying that God will choose a righteous person to lead the country for the next 4 years.


1 comment:

Shannon said...

that is very interesting Patty. Thanks for sharing about Brazil election time. Do you get to vote?