About Me

My photo
Portel, Para, Brazil
After over 40 years as a Christian, God called me to serve in Brazil as a missionary...a dream I had for 10 years, since my first visit to the Amazon. I am single again, and I have 2 wonderful children (and a terrific daughter-in-law), 9 grandchildren, and 2 great-granddaughters.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Mission trip to Assurini






Xingu Mission has several works started in the Assurini (wilderness area across the river from Altamira). Recently I was privileged to go along on a monthly visit to one village there. What a joy to meet brothers and sisters in the Lord, who live a hard life with great joy!

The family who welcomed us into their home are homesteaders. They live on a few acres of land, in a small wooden house without indoor plumbing or electricity (except for a generator a few hours each evening). Outside in the yard live several pigs, a few cows, and many chickens, dogs and cats.

We ate together, prayed together, worshipped together, and played together. And we added a few more people to those we call the "family of God". I hope I can return again to visit these new friends.

20+ young people from Igreja da Vinha Mirante (Mirante Vineyard) went along...or I should say, they let us older adults go along with them. Our youth did their best to get acquainted with the people who live there - inviting them into several games, serving them with pedicures, dancing and laughing with them. It was a joy to watch our youth praying for people, worshipping among them, encouraging them in their new lives with Jesus.

No comments: