About Me

My photo
Portel, Para, Brazil
After over 40 years as a Christian, God called me to serve in Brazil as a missionary...a dream I had for 10 years, since my first visit to the Amazon. I am single again, and I have 2 wonderful children (and a terrific daughter-in-law), 9 grandchildren, and 2 great-granddaughters.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Danger?

So, I've been mulling this over for 24 hours...do I post about my latest adventure, or not? My family might worry more, but God should be glorified...

Yesterday morning, I went for a walk along the beach to spend some time with the Lord. Along the way, I stopped to take pictures of the flowers that are everywhere here, and posted the pics to Facebook for my dear friends to see.

As I began to walk home, I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me to pray for protection, so I did. No big deal, what could happen on such a beautiful morning? 

I had noticed a teenage boy on a bicycle, throwing rocks at a mango tree to get the mangos to fall. I kept walking, said good morning to a few people I saw in their yards.

About two blocks from Richie's house, that same teenage boy rode by me on his bike a couple times, then turned around and confronted me. "Give me your cell phone!" he said (it was clearly outlined in my pocket...duh!). My very out-of-character response was a resounding, "NO!!" 

Coming closer with a threatening demeanor, he repeated, "Give me your cell phone NOW!"

Me: "NO! In the name of Jesus, leave me alone! Lord, help me!" (Nao! Em nome de Jesus, sai de mim! Senhor, me ajuda!)

And the boy turned away and left me alone!

In truth, my cry of, 'Senhor, me ajuda' was a cry for a neighbor I had seen to come out and chase the boy away. I had enough faith to use Jesus' name, but also hoped some person would come to my rescue. But the Lord heard my cry, and instead of sending someone to help, He turned the boy's heart away from his intended assault.

Glory to God, who loves me and protects me in my ignorance!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are strong in your faith, Mama. You are protected and loved. I am happy you used your voice.

Unknown said...

Patty, I'm so sorry that happened to you but God was there to protect you with your voice. Now they will all know to leave you alone you do not give in to them. So that is good just always stay alert! Take care stay healthy and safe. God Bless you and keep you in His Loving Arms!

Sue